What is dermaplaning?
Dermaplaning is a minimally invasive cosmetic procedure for your skin. Your healthcare provider uses a special instrument to shave away the uppermost layers of your skin.
Dermaplaning can help reduce the appearance of acne scars or other skin imperfections by revealing newer, undamaged skin. It can make your skin look younger; though, it doesn’t stop the aging process. Some people also get dermaplaning for hair removal. This procedure can be combined with any peel/ facial to get the maximum results and be done every 3-4 weeks.
What happens during dermaplaning?
You might feel a scratching or stinging sensation on your skin, but dermaplaning usually isn’t painful.
Your aesthetician provider uses a special instrument called a dermatome to remove hair and skin cells. The tool looks a bit like an electric razor. The dermatome has a small blade that moves back and forth across your skin. It doesn’t make cuts in your skin, but gently shaves off the top layers of skin.
Afterward, they may apply a soothing gel or ointment to your skin to reduce redness, swelling or irritation.
Benefits of dermaplaning:
- Enables better product absorption: When you apply creams and serums to your face, they need to penetrate the top layers to fully benefit your skin. With dermaplaning, the top layer and dead skin cells are removed, meaning the product can penetrate more deeply. Your makeup can also be applied more smoothly.
- Removes peach fuzz:The fine soft hairs on your face will be completely removed with dermaplaning, leaving your skin clear and soft. This fine hair can trap sebum and dirt, leading to breakouts.
- Gives you lovely soft skin:Your face will feel extremely soft and smooth.
- Reduces the appearance of lines and wrinkles:Similarly, many swear by dermaplaning for giving them a more youthful complexion with less noticeable fine lines and wrinkles.
- Enhances radiance:By removing the dead skin cells, dullness is eliminated and you will experience a more radiant complexion.
- Non-invasive and minimal recovery: This isn’t a complex cosmetic procedure, and within a few days you’ll notice the benefits. No chemicals are used.
- Is suitable for most people:All skin types can generally use dermaplaning safely.